Monday, February 21, 2011

4 Years a Grandparent






Connor was born on February 3, 2007. That means that Barb and I are now grandparents to 4 boys in 4 years. I resisted the idea of claiming my identity as grandpa for many months leading up to Connor's birth. Now, I love to hear the name "Papa."   
There is a certain amount of chaos that accompanies 4 boys under the age of 4. Everyone travels with an ensemble of strollers, car seats, toys, and a change of clothes. For all the noise and energy though, there is a real sense that the boys are engaged with one another. They all enjoy looking at photographs, identifying their cousins, their aunts and uncles. One of the most rewarding parts of being a parent is recognizing the moments when your now adult children seem to actually like and respect their siblings. So it is with grandchildren. Those moments when they embrace, reach out to entertain one another, or observe that one in their number neeeds to be cared for, are welcome signs that the little ones will grow into the kind of adults the world needs. 
There is also the joy of seeing your own children loving their children. Nothing prepared me for this. I feel proud... yes, the kind of pride that used to be expressed by men who handed out cigars when their children and grandchildren were born. But pride is not the right word. When I have the privilege of seeing my children holding their own children... caring for them, teaching them, babysitting for one another, sharing advice and child-rearing books and tips... making plans for play dates and movie outings, plans for birthday parties and present exchanges... I let myself think for just a moment, 'Maybe Barb and I did something right.'

No comments:

Post a Comment